My mom was finally scheduled for her second major surgery for her neck. She has what you call Cervical spondylosis (www.mayoclinic.com/health/cervical-spondylosis/DS00697)
Dr anticipated a 3-5 day hospital stay but turns out my mom was pain that was not expected right after surgery. After trying to get information for nurses over the phone and trying to talk to my mom over the phone.....I couldn't stand to listen to her in pain and not getting any answers in TX. I had already planned to go to Augusta on Feb 28th to help her out at home but I couldn't be on stand by at home not knowing what was going on. I flew to Augusta on Feb 24th to be with her and make sure that she could get what she needed while in the hopsital. Her pain finally was under control on the 24th. It took the Dr's 2 days to find something that would work for her. The Dr's were stumpped as to why she was having so much pain than expected.
After talking over and over with Dr's it was determined that the "extra" pain from her elbows were coming from her being stablized during surgery for hours in a position that her body doesn't normally sit in. With the fine deatils of her neck surgery her body had to be in the "perfect" position to expose the spine, cords and muscles to get the taks complete. Mom has artitis throughout her body and when the Dr's put her body in a position she normally doesn't go for hours....she woke up in extreme pain.
Once her pain was under control her PT had her walking around. The first time they had her walk to the nurses stationed she passed out from being dizzy. But she did good and got right back up and walked back to her room. She was so determined to walk so she could go home. PT recommened she wait one more day before going home. She did really well throughout the day walking (with a walker) to the bathroom with help.
Mom was finally discharged on Sat Feb 26th.; She was so happy and so was I. Of course the first thing my mom wanted to do was stop and eat Pho (Vietnamneese noodles) on the way home. Trying to get my mom to slow down at home was pretty hard. She was feeling good and not remembering that she is still fraile. I have had to catch her a few time because she tries walking down the halway by herself. She walks like a puppet on a string still. This will get better day after day but she is happy to be home and forgets she just had major spine surgery 5 days ago.
This is the first time that Bob and I have opposite roles with Emily. He is home with her while I am gone. I keep looking for Emily like I am missing something or left her somewhere. I am sure Bob has the opposite problem and has Emmie attached to him ALL the time.
Thank you to my friends who have text, called or email about my mom. I will be here until she is able to do the basic stuff by herself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment